The City of Rio Dell, in partnership with Eel River Disposal, has a curbside recycling program. Each customer is provided with a 65 gallon “toter” to use for the disposal of all recyclable materials. The recycling toter should be placed in a truck accessible area near the curb along side your regular trash receptacle on the first and third Wednesday of the month.
There are a few things that you can do to make this program even more successful. One tip that will make it easier for the recycling truck to pick up your toter is to leave at least 5 feet of clearance all the way around the recycling toter to allow the truck to pick it up with its automated arm. That means that your regular garbage can should not be placed right next to the recycling toter but 5 feet away from it. Another tip is when recycling any kind of plastic bottle, jug or containers, please remember to remove the lids and rinse the containers out. Also, please do not put items like plastic bags inside of other items such as coffee cans etc. It is preferred that these items be placed loose in the toter.
Thank you for your continued effort and support of this program. Any questions or comments about Rio Dell’s recycling program should be addressed to the Recycling Resource Coordinator, Carla Ralston, at 764-3532.
The following items may be placed in your recycling toter:
- All CRV* plastic accepted (*California Refund Value)
- #1 PETE clear and colored bottles e.g water and soda bottles
- #2 HDPE translucent e.g. milk jugs
- #2 HDPE colored or opaque bottles e.g. oil, detergent, etc.
- #1-#7 rigid plastic containers e.g. salsa, margarine, yogurt, etc.
- “soft” plastic e.g. plastic bags or plastic wrap
Glass Bottles and Jars
- All colors accepted and labels are o.k. with the lids removed
- NO window glass, ceramics, dishes, mirrors, etc.
Aluminum/Steel/Tin Cans and Aluminum Foil
- All CRV cans accepted
- Soup/food cans
- Pet food containers
- Rinsed and food free
- Labels are o.k.
- Newspaper inserts are o.k.
- Corrugated cardboard must be dry
- Please flatten and remove all packing materials
- NO milk cartons, waxed cardboard, or 6 pack holders, paper plates, cups etc.
Magazines, Catalogs, & Office Waste Paper
- Mix of all junk mail, home and office paper
- Pamphlets and brochures
- NO plastic or foil gift wrap
- NO photographs/overheads
|Litter Decomposition Rates – Did You Know?|
|Paper Takes||2 – 5 Months|
|Orange Peels||6 Months|
|Milk Cartons||5 Years|
|Filter Tip Cigarettes||10 – 12 Years|
|Plastic Bags||10 – 20 Years|
|Leather Shoes||25 – 40 Years|
|Plastic Containers||50-80 Years|
|Disposable Diapers||75 Years|
|Tin Cans||100 Years|
|Aluminum Cans||200-500 Years|